László Dobszay - The Restoration and Organic Development of the Roman Rite
  • I've just finished reading and rereading this magisterial work. For those who have read his earlier work in English, The Bugnini-Liturgy and the Reform of the Reform, this "sequel" really fleshes out his earlier proposals with concrete suggestions for an integration of both forms of the Roman Rite through a critical application of the norms of Sacrosanctum Concilium to the classical Roman Rite (i.e. Extraordinary Form). While looking toward an organic development of the liturgy as celebrated at the time of the Second Vatican Council, he also makes suggestions for that "mutual enrichment" of both forms spoken of by Pope Benedict XVI in Summorum Pontificum, as the author envisions the appropriation of some of the post-conciliar liturgical developments by an organically reformed classical Roman Rite.

What I found most challenging about following the course of his arguments was my lack of a thorough mastery of the liturgical texts (something the author possesses in abundance), especially the propers of the missal and gradual as well as the antiphonal of the Divine Office. I would like invite anyone who would be interested to collaborate on drafting all or at least some of Professor Dobszay's proposals in concrete form as a study text. An excercise such as this would be purely academic, of course, but it might be interesting to see what his ideas look like on paper. For example, an Order of Mass with propers for a portion of the Church Year might facilitate comparison with existing formas and stimulate further thinking on the subject .

I am increasingly convinced that something along the lines of Professor Dobszay's thesis is the inevitable course for the future of the Roman Rite, and the Holy Father's writings and actions give the clearest indication that they are of the same mindset. When I look at the landscape around me, however, I am forced to conclude that the fruits of this reform are still far ahead of us.
  • Pes
    I just ordered it online, Pedro, and am looking forward to reading it!
  • rollingrj
    I assume these books can be purchased at the usual suspects (Amazon, B&N, here, etc.)?

Pedro, your conclusion seems valid. I think those of us on the musical side of the "reform of the Reform" are wanting to make that organic development happen. I would need to read both of these books first, but I like the idea of a study text. Put me down as a big "maybe" leaning toward "yes".
  • Chrism
    a critical application of the norms of Sacrosanctum Concilium to the classical Roman Rite (i.e. Extraordinary Form)

An act I would find outrageously offensive and would resist unto the last of my strength.

How odd it is that those who wish to tinker with the Extraordinary Form are so often themselves unattached to it.

Placing the Extraordinary Form at the mercy of postconciliar liturgists again is as pastoral as reassigning problem priests--people will be abused, bishops will laugh off complaints, and the Church will be decimated. Publishers, however, will make a lot of money.
  • CharlesW
    I think the EF should be left alone. It developed organically over time and is a finished product. At the same time, I would resist efforts to make the OF into the EF. Many of the changes from Vatican II were long overdue and much needed. I am not convinced everything the Council did was great, but organic development can repair the things that need fixing in the OF. Under Pope Benedict, that process is already underway.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • BGP
    I second both Chrism and Charles. As far as mutual enrichment goes I'm really quite concerned for the well being of the EF, the Novus Ordo is still very unstable. We still have very much a free for all with the OF. I really fear the self appointed 'liturgists' and their tinkeritis.
  • I think I should add some personal background. I grew up with the Novus Ordo, having made my First Holy Communion with the first class after the promulgation of the Missal of Pope Paul VI. The only Latin I can remember was the occasional singing of Tantum ergo at Benediction and an occasional Salve Regina at the jubilee of a priest's ordination. My parents held on to their hand missals, however, and as a very small child I can recall being fascinated by them: the ribbons, the Latin text, the illustrations and descriptions of the ceremonies, vestments, stational churches, etc. That fascination never left me and I can honestly say that I developed a life-long attachment to the EF even though I never attended a traditional Latin Mass until a year ago.

I agree in part with Chrism, CharlesW and BGP that the OF is too unstable to be a point of departure for further development of the Roman Rite, partly because it was designed to be more "flexible." The liberation of the classical Roman Rite is a great blessing to the Church, and Summorum Pontificum is still very much in its "first-fruits" stage. Until every Catholic of the Roman Rite has free and ready access to the EF in every parish church and every priest receives his formation under the influence of its doctrinal perspicacity (if one can use such a term in speaking of the Church's liturgy) no further substantive changes should be made to the EF. Furthermore, nothing is to be gained vis-a-vis the regularization of SSPX and other traditionalist groups by further tinkering with the EF by so-called liturgical experts. But the present situation is certainly an anomaly: one rite with two rather different forms, calendars, etc., and one of them frozen in 1962!

The Holy Father has made it clear that the wholesale rejection of an oecumenical council of the Church is unacceptable. What is needed (and thankfully is happening) is a critical re-reading of the Council under the hermeneutic of continuity. Study and not precipitous change should be the order of the day. Every day new books and articles are appearing in print about the development of the classical Roman Rite. Perhaps it is time to uncover in detail the process and rationale of the Consilium for the post-conciliar liturgies it produced. I suspect they will not hold up so well under such critique. Nevertheless, there is a way forward that does not reject out of hand some of the more positive elements of the reform which constitutes the most widely celebrated liturgy in Christendom today. I refer in particular to those elements called for by the Council itself: expanded reading of Scripture at Mass, wider use of the vernacular, some of the new prefaces, and so forth. Professor Dobszay's proposal is only one man's view, and should be judged on its own merit. I think it is consonant with that of Pope Benedict as evidenced by his writings over many years and his own ars celebrandi.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    from what i've heard, Pope Benny wants the 1962 missal to have an effect on the way the new mass is celebrated.
  • Pes
    Pedro, I think you're right.

What we saw in the 1970s, at least in the USA, was the liturgical rudder of the Church being thrown extremely hard to one side. This was deliberate: radicals (Marx, Adorno, Marcuse, Alinsky) always know the value of throwing things very hard in a certain direction so that any compensatory move toward the opposite side will have that much further to go. Thus the culture's overall course will tack in the radical direction. This tactic (deliberate dialectic), in their radical scale of values, has been enormously successful.

Benedict knows how they operate and has provided a surprise move that has alarmed them: a re-opening of dialectical possibilities in the direction of tradition. This opening has the radicals, as we say, in a lather. They are aging and feeling desperate. The time is ripe to press on with the (adult) task of piecing back together, intelligently, the process of organic development they so enthusiastically threw aside. Professor Dobszay's book sounds like a superb contribution to that effort of asserting a living continuity, an organic development.

By the way, Pedro, we are roughly the same age. I share your experience of forming attachments to the culture of the EF without ever having attended it as a child or young adult. The reasons for attachment are classically Catholic: physical signs and objects, and the care with which they were created and maintained, is greatly congenial to a sacramental mode of thinking.

Chrism and others: it seems to me that a strictly "preservationist" approach to the EF represents a denial of the very process of its development and elaboration, the process by which it was formed. There has to be some opening, it seems to me, for tradition to grow. Otherwise, it will not be tradition but museology. I realize the danger of loopholes, but it seems to me we have to allow for the exercise of inspired and holy intelligence. No?
  • CharlesW, why do you think the EF is a finished product? It has never been considered to be throughout the history of the Church. Chrism, the EF will be changed because it is once again a living liturgy. Why would you fight so hard against the Holy Spirit? The 1962 version NEEDS some revision. Previous versions are actually much better and perhaps some things need to be reviewed. I know the Office of 1962 has its problems which created further problems with the LotH. Besides, it already has been altered for Good Friday. Trust that only those who care for the EF will work on its continuing renewal and revision.
  • CharlesW
    Although popes have tinkered with the EF throughout its history, some would argue that organic development ceased with Trent. That council appears to have frozen the rite in place, and suppressed all other organic developments in place at the time. Whether or not one agrees, I think a case could be made that the 1962 missal created a finished product. It isn't the dominant rite of either the church, or even the "Latin" Rite anymore, so how does it develop from 1962 onward?
  • miacoyne
    "Trust that only those who care for the EF will work on its continuing renewal and revision."
    Very good point. Thank you.

One of the change I noticed in the EF parish I often go is that people started to vocallize responses in chants. The parish almost doubled the number of regular attendants within a couple of years, and more people are now following in chanting responses (It was a complete silence last year.). Although I'm still not sure what to do, my boys who learn to sing chants are not shy in chanting them and singing along what they know, especially the Marian hymns at the end.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Now that Easter Season and Ordinary Time are ahead,
    I hope to read these books.

In the mean time, my gut feeling is:
    Tinker less with the EF liturgy; tinker more with the EF people.

Still hoping my rare visits to an EF parish will one day find an
    Ordinary-singing happy congregation rather than silent angry glares
    because I vocalize any content of the first 150 pages of the Gregorian Missal.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Chrism
    the wholesale rejection of an oecumenical council of the Church is unacceptable

I don't reject it, Peter, and frankly I'm disappointed that you would choose to mischaracterize my opposition this way.

I merely interpret the disciplinary document Sacrosanctum Concilium to have no application whatsoever to the Extraordinary Form as liberated by Summorum Pontificum--not now, not ever.

And even if some subsequent Pope were to try to apply it again, I would reject that application and stand alongside my forefathers in the EF in their rejection--whether licit or otherwise--of the earlier attempt at applying it, in order that the Roman Rite may be preserved for posterity.
  • Chrism
    eft94530: tinker more with the EF people

If you're going to have that attitude, I'd rather never run into you, and I'm sure all the "EF people" would agree, whether they meet your stereotype or are completely opposite of it.
  • Chrism
    Pes: Applying Sacrosanctum Concilium is the farthest thing away from organic development of the EF at this point, and for the foreseeable future.
  • Pes
    Oh, we're agreed there, Chrism. As I say, intelligent development in holiness. Tall order, but that's how we got the EF in the first place.
  • GavinGavin
    Agree with eft completely. Mind you, I've never run into a dour, angry, silent traditionalist, except at OF Masses. The congregational singing at local EF Masses is actually about as good as at a normal OF Mass, except with a wider variety of music (typically all of the protestant-style high hymnody and plenty of chant tunes and a few staple chant Masses). But the "internet culture" of EF people needs to go away.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Chrism, I am sorry I stepped on your toes; I seem to have been chastized by you before for my EF comments.
    I was just summarizing my multi-year semi-annual local music experiences.

The "baggage" I have as I seek to acquire and read the books ...

There is lack of catechesis on both sides of the 1963 document.
    I have repeatedly read the pre-1962 documents and the post-1962 documents,
    and find lack of implementation for both, and am annoyed by that lack in both.

I have no influence in the EF, and a weak influence in the OF.
    It is not the EF or OF liturgies that need changing; it is the people of those liturgies.
    I hold the same argument for morals:
    no tweaked or new commandments, just greater fidelity to the given.
    WE ALL need tinkering, whether in moral or liturgical realms.

But, if the great day of compliance were to arrive,
    I would be interested in knowing what the next step(s) might be,
    and that is my interest in this discussion and the books it has as its focus.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't found the traditionalists to be necessarily angry, but superior and holier-than-thou I have encountered. One demanded to know why I play at OF masses and not EF masses. When I told him I am Byzantine, and that the EF masses are neither my responsibility nor am I paid to do them, he looked dumbstruck. If you think those folks are any better educated in their faith than the OF people, I would have to disagree based on what I have encountered. They are enamored of Trent, but most haven't actually read either those documents, or the ones from Vatican II.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    Chrism, I am not sure Sacrosanctum Concilium applies to the OF, as practiced in the U.S. The rite itself has been changed since it was written and the missals and rubrics have changed, as well. It's a document I can agree with, but I am not sure it has any legal force on the OF rite as it exists today.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I enjoyed Professor Dobszay's earlier book and look forward to reading this one in my spare time. First, I look forward to having spare time.

Unfortunately, the Holy Father has neglected to reveal his plans for the liturgy to me. However, I think the EF is already exerting an uplifting influence on the OF, even in areas where the EF is virtually non-existent. And as the EF is more readily available, I think some of the "bunker" mentality of earlier years will ease.
  • JamJam
    I agree that the EF should be largely untouched, as far as reform goes. The original Latin text should not be tampered with, and people should have access to the EF in Latin everywhere.

However, I think the EF would be well-served with two reforms: one, a good translation into the vernacular; two, speaking more of the Eucharistic and presider's prayers out loud, possibly all of them.

Notice that I already said people should have access to the EF in Latin. But I think that there ought to be translations of the EF that are acceptable to use, also. It's not like God only speaks Latin (or Greek, or Slavonic, or insert your liturgical language here). I understand the point of liturgical languages, but at the same time Vatican II seemed to understand the point of the vernacular. Remember, it's the church's use of the vernacular in its early days that got Latin to be a liturgical language to begin with. Also, I don't think it's too much of a rubrical change to speak some of the silent prayers out loud, for the edification of the faithful. There's wonderful, wonderful theological stuff in all the prayers of the EF which, sad to say, a lot of people don't get in the pews. Many people will follow along with missals, but not everyone does. There's a reason silent prayers were very limited in the OF reform: they are conducive to private internal prayer, but the main point of the Mass is public, liturgical prayer, which is best symbolized by the people praying together with the priest as they hear him pray.

In fact, in my opinion, if the EF were translated into a good vernacular, perhaps organic development could go from there, in its proper context. That is, it seems to me that V2 was trying to unfreeze the liturgy frozen at Trent, if you will. but writing an entirely new liturgy didn't seem to work so well. They ought to have started with what they already had, I think.
  • IanWIanW
    What Jam said in his last para.
  • Chrism
    Pes: intelligent development in holiness

Too often--and I am not accusing you of this--people interpret lofty words like "development" to fit preconceived notions of "how things should be". For example, Americans often consider "development" to mean another country becoming more like America. (The Church doesn't.)

In the case of the EF, people can fall into the trap of reducing it to a position on a timeline, the Liturgy of 1962 as opposed to the Liturgy of 1967 or the Liturgy of 1947. "Development", whether prefixed by "organic" or not, is thus misunderstood to mean borrowing elements from posterior dates, whereas "tradition" is seen as borrowing from anterior dates. The EF is the Extraordinary Liturgy of 2010, and is a continuous living tradition from the time of Pope Gregory I if not before.

The EF is already a highly developed liturgical system. This does not mean it cannot be developed further. In fact, the authentic, organic development of the EF is happening right now, and it has been happening since the dawn of the traditionalist movement when the EF was abandoned and then neglected by the Roman Pontiffs. This development is happening primarily in the hearts and minds of laymen and laywomen, clerics and religious, who are coming to the EF and learning and living and breathing its liturgy and its calendar, and its devotional life. This is not an overnight process. The fruits of this development are slowly showing forth visibly: the Last Confiteor and Leonine Prayers are retained in most places, while certain unfortunate options like the "office of commentator" are falling into desuetude. Great expense is being undertaken in buying hand Missals and printing Propers for the congregation, in a massive vote-by-feet against vernacularization of the parts of priest, server and choir. Parochial and local customs are being cultivated and guarded. "Tradition" means what is handed down, not what is dug up from history (viz., antiquarianism). The EF is handed down from people who have practiced it all these years; the books alone are not enough.

At the same time, the EF remains under threat. A deluge of newcomers unfamiliar with the EF and searching it out is a wonderful opportunity, but in their ignorance they can too easily be led astray by those who claim to want to provide the EF but who are themselves uneducated in it, or even have other agendas. Monstrosities have been reported from time to time. The pressure to change seems always to come from those who have not fully formed themselves in the EF: the layman who has been coming to the Latin Mass once a month on average for a little under a year, but will never stop chattering about his ideas for changes, for example. (This is about as welcome as a dinner guest telling you your home is mismanaged.)

Some individuals, and it appears that Prof. Dobszay is one, openly state a desire to "change the EF", and even to "merge" it with a reformed OF. This would certainly be a change, but would it be organic development? It rather sounds like an alteration, accomplished with the sharp weapons of remote power. If the Holy Father intended "mutual enrichment" to mean "eventual merger", than who could trust his other words? Do people wish the extinction of the other Uses of the Roman Rite? Mutual enrichment cannot be the only vector of organic development.

BTW, there is certainly an important role for the Roman Pontiff in keeping custody of and guiding the organic development of the EF. It would be nice to see the Last Confiteor and the Leonine Prayers officially included in any reprint of the Missale. Many saints have been raised to Latin altars since 1962, and it is fitting that they be added to the EF Martyrology and to local and particular calendars, perhaps with new Masses and Offices written for any new local and particular feasts.
  • miacoyne
    "The pressure to change seems always to come from those who have not fully formed themselves in the EF: the layman who has been coming to the Latin Mass once a month on average for a little under a year, but will never stop chattering about his ideas for changes, for example."

It is very true.

I heard complains about 'silent Canon,' because they say some cannot follow . Personally, even if I'm new to EF, I prefer silence in this most holy and Mystery moment. This is the time I try my best to focus more and follow the dynamics and the summit of intensity of the Mass. I don't think all the liturgical prayers have to be vocalized, there are times for vocal and times for non vocal, and the vocalization doesn't necessarily always help people to unite spiritually. Internally uniting together in the prayer with the priest might be something people can learn. If the Church changes the silent canon to be vocalized I'll definitely do my best to follow, but until then I truly appreciate the silence for the moment for "Be Still, the Lord is coming.'
  • CharlesW
    I have asked for some years, never with the intent of provoking an argument, if Pope Gregory would recognize the EF after Trent was done with it. Certainly, elements may go back to his time, but that mass has undergone significant changes over time. You really could choose a point on a timeline and see the EF as practiced at that particular time. I am glad to see the return of the EF, and actually worked several years for its return in my area - not for my benefit, by the way. But I would not even begin to suggest that all is perfect and harmonious in the EF world.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Pes
    Chrism

That's all well said, and I understand your observations and cautions. My own view is that tradition is not just passing along but, like Gothic architecture, a slow process of careful adaptation and elaboration. I understand the argument (a good one) that the EF should be permitted to exert its own shaping force on parishioners and piety, rather than the other way around. I do think the opposite direction of influence is advantageous, if only for neutering the claim that the EF is simply a museum piece. If it were not a closed system, I think it could be a more powerful force in the Church. It would represent an alternative process, not just an alternative liturgical "product." Does that make sense?
  • "However, I think the EF would be well-served with two reforms: one, a good translation into the vernacular; two, speaking more of the Eucharistic and presider's prayers out loud, possibly all of them."

There's a name for this. I think it's Vatican II. There's some mention of it in history books if you dig far back enough.
  • JamJam
    Noel, I'm talking about actually translating the EF itself, not writing a whole new Mass by committee. The Novus Ordo is not a reform of the EF, it's a whole new Mass: they are similar, yes, but not all that much.
  • chonakchonak
    On the level of practice and appearance, the differences are marked, but when you compare the texts of the two forms, the differences are much smaller. So whether you call the OF a reform of the EF or call it a newly invented liturgy probably depends on how you approach the question.
  • Adoremus
    Please make Prof. Dobszay's recent book available online like his previous book. I can't have a personal copy but I want to read it, especially the chapter on the Divine Office. Thanks. What are the proposals of Prof. Dobszay on the Divine Office?
  • JamJam
    True, chonak. At any rate, I don't think the original "translations" count. They needed GOOD and extremely faithful translations of the EF in order to get the ball rolling in the right direction... and obviously that didn't happen. It's that attitude of being free with the translations which led to the attitude of being free in other regards, imho. In the East we are almost obnoxiously reluctant to change any words of the liturgy... so we still call for the catechumens to leave (in very emphatic language, too) at a certain point in the liturgy, where in most parishes they stay. I remember wondering when I was first visiting an Orthodox church if I, as a visitor, should leave at that point. It was pretty confusing.

Nevertheless, it was adding a change here, a change there, which introduced other changes. If they had been extremely strict and were like, "we're ONLY going to translate this and do NOTHING ELSE for the time being" and from there moved a lot more slowly, then perhaps the sensus fidelium would not have been lost along the way.

Of course, it's all just speculation. I still think, though, that there ought to be vernacular EF Masses alongside the Latin EF and the OF.
  • Chrism
    Pes: like Gothic architecture, a slow process of careful adaptation and elaboration

Absolutely. Tradition is received, lived, and then passed on. The authentic living of Tradition is when true organic development occurs. The last 50 years have been an extraordinary environment in which this could happen in the EF, and now there are new challenges and also opportunities which require new practical adaptations by those who live the EF liturgy. For example, I don't know how many Catholic Masses had programs with music in Gregorian notation printed in the 1950's; it is almost de rigeur now.

the claim that the EF is simply a museum piece

I agree that this is a common line of attack against the EF and the people attached to it--indeed, it is a variant of a very old attack--but it is not a particularly accurate one. How many museums are filled with Catholic families praying intensely while the Supreme Sacrifice of Calvary is offered to the Most High? The years in which the EF was shackled with regulation might be treated with zoo or prison metaphors, but the EF is free now and is in more places than we know, and things are happening that have not yet been recorded or made public--no doubt some for good and some for ill.

If it were not a closed system, I think it could be a more powerful force in the Church.

I'm not sure what is meant by "closed system". Catholics may freely move back and forth between the two main Forms, or attend the Anglican Use, or any of the Eastern Rites. I don't think anyone really thinks it would be a good idea if individual priests were able to implement their own unique parochial versions of Vatican II Reform, starting with the 1962 edition of the Missal and using Sacrosanctum Concilium and their own preferences as a guide, not even ad experimentum. There's a sort of spirit of Bugnini-envy that seems to infect some people (not you)--we need to realize that for good or ill his work is done, his unique moment in history has passed, his job function eliminated, and nobody is being hired to replace him.

I also don't see how the EF could become a more powerful force if it were exposed to the forces of OF custom and use. The EF exerts great power--on the OF, on the separated brethren, consummating the "hermeneutic of continuity"--precisely by being a living representation of the Usus Antiquior. If the EF were to vernacularize, for example, how strong would remain the pull for Latin in the OF (let alone in seminaries)? For that matter, where is the interest in yet another vernacular liturgy? The Eastern Rite churches around me are now almost entirely in English, and though their Liturgies are sung and reverent and publicly orthodox, they are not particularly well attended, nor do they seem to grow many vocations. If the EF were to undergo a radical reform--by which I mean even a hundredth of what was done to create the Novus Ordo--then the situation would become a competition between two Reform proposals, only one of which could initially claim any actual adherents. All the power would devolve to the OF.

Rather, we should ask, is the EF acceptable as it is? The Holy Father teaches that it must be, because "what earlier generations held as sacred, remains sacred and great for us too, and it cannot be all of a sudden entirely forbidden or even considered harmful." The number of people flocking to the EF implies that it is working. I don't think the complainers would suddenly convert to the EF if their suggestions became law, I think they would simply declare victory and walk away.

Is the "reformed and partly renewed" OF acceptable as it is? Most of us would say resoundingly NO. The people leaving the practice of Catholicism since the OF's introduction testify against its acceptability. So then which Form ought to be the object of all our efforts at modification?
  • CharlesW
    Yes, we have seminaries. http://www.byzcathsem.org/main/home.php

The Ukrainian Catholics are probably more numerous in Canada than in the United States.
  • JamJam
    (EDIT -- changed some off topic commentary to whispers.)

Chrism, I hear what you're saying about the two reforms--translated EF and OF--competing with each other. I guess ideally I would want to see a translated EF replace the OF. The OF is in need of a lot more reform right now than the EF is. It's such a mess... but it's too late now to go back to square one, I guess.
  • Chrism
    Just to be clear about the Eastern churches near me--by "low" attendance, I mean that they are not being overwhelmed by Western Catholics looking for a reverent, vernacular, Catholic liturgy, at least not nearly in the same numbers that one sees for growth at the EF.
  • JamJam
    That would make sense.They are different rites, and have a completely different culture and ethos associated with them. A good example is kneeling. In the Orthodox church, we never kneel on Sundays; we prefer to stand at attention like soldiers. However, if your average pious Catholic were looking for a more reverent way to worship than the local OF mess, he would probably search out a place where there was more kneeling, not less.

Dissatisfied OF people are looking for a reverent, vernacular, Catholic, and Western liturgy. As they should. If they can't find it, usually instead of throwing out the Western part--which would take years of personal inculturation to adjust to--they throw out the vernacular part, which is easily remedied with hand missals, etc.
  • miacoyne
    Wen I was working for a local OF parish, I wasn't really dissatisfied. I just didin't know better. But since I started to sing Gregorian chant, and started to pay more attention to Liturgy and read documents, which came as a natural course, I discovered the beautfy of the tradtional Mass. I'm actually thankful for those two Masses. Vernacular in OF for better understanding, since I'm not a master in Latin, at least not yet, and the reverance and sacredness in Traditional Mass. They both help me for the better understanding and reinforce my appreciation of the Mass. (Of course there is a lot of room for improvement for OF Masses in many local parishes, but it's coming.) If you come to Colloquium, you will experience beauty and reverance both in OF and EF, you will not see much boundaries. And I don't think I'll throw out either one, at least for a long time or ever.
    Even when I read Bible, Church documents or liturgical prayer books, I like having Latin next to vernacular texts. Not that I understand Latin better, but because Latin gives me a security and remindes me of the sacredness of what I'm reading more than vernacular does.
    Again, one may insist that Latin wasn't a sacred language, but by the pracitcie and the tradition of our Church it is now for us. There are saints who didn't always have pius life before they started 'holy' life, but that doesn't make them less saints. God seemed to call the lowly and place them in a high place to show His great power so those who open their hearts to Him can see.
  • -b
    Haven't read through all the comments, but at the risk of being redundant, would like to make a couple:
    1. Susan Benofy's excellent 2-part article recently in Adoremus Bulletin, "The Day the Mass Changed," finally gives the play-by-play history of the creation of the Novus Ordo we celebrate in most parishes in America today. I was struck by her summary statement that the basis used for the OF here was the EF LOW MASS!
    That really helps me understand the OF as it currently is formulated: priest and people speaking their texts, hymns substituted for propers (which are barely spoken out loud at low mass), and generally the gulf between priest at the altar and people in the pews. That gulf was easily filled by liturgists with all their ideas for promoting "active participation."
    The high mass, missa cantata, should have been the model, as I think I recall Dobszay saying in his Bugnini Liturgy book.
    2. A good while back at this forum there was a thread (I don't have time to look for it now) about establishing a list of recommended parishes around the country where one would find a mass done to a set of standards this group advocates. Eventually about 15 points were listed, and when I read them, I thought, well, this is the EF HIGH MASS, with only a very few changes! It that project still alive?? Isn't that what this thread is about, sort of?
    3. Thanks for the word about Dobszay's new book. Can't wait to get it. I have the greatest respect for both his scholarship and his devotion to the Catholic Church.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • rogue63
    (deleted)
  • Without joining in debate, to avoid misunderstanding, I wish you to inform of the following:
    1) I am not an outsider in EF matter: until my 35 I visited weekly, or een daily the "Tridentine" Mass, and of course, only that.
    2) I know by heart a greet part of the Missale 1962 (the Ordo, Canon, collects included), about half of the Psalter.
    3) I studied ex offo the Trident Rite, its many changes after (e.g. Pius XII's reform of the Holy Week), and a lot of the different rites between Gregory I and Trento (which are in many respect better shaped than the Curial–Trident one.
    With my greetings
    László Dobszay
  • Mr Dobszay, you are welcome here, indeed. Thank you for your scholarship on the liturgy. I agree about the 1962 liturgy. It has its own moments of smaller ruptures.
  • rsven
    Dear Mr. Dobszay, I must take this opportunity to greet you, and thank you for your first book, which greatly inspired me back in the old days when I worked in the Ordinary Form, and brought chant to that form. Now, because they give me work, I just work in the Extraordinary Form. But I greatly appreciated the common sense approach that you offered, that was based on scholarship, and that amazingly Hungarian ability to connect to the actuality of music. I have studied with a Hungarian pianist from the Liszt Institute, who exhibited the same quality, of simply going to the root of the music. And, of course, there are Bartok and Kodaly, whose contributions to music and music pedagogy are only beginning to be discovered. I look forward to reading this next volume. Thank you for your work.
  • Geremia
    Is this book available on MusicaSacra.com? I know his The Bugnini-Liturgy and the Reform of the Reform is. thanks
  • chonakchonak
    The book was published in 2010 by T&T Clark, and is available at the usual on-line booksellers:

The Restoration and Organic Development of the Roman Rite