TULIP Catholicism?
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    If there's one thing I know, it's that Catholicism doesn't teach Total Depravity....

Then why on this day every year do the most conservative Catholics sing,

Sine tuo numine
    Nihil est in homine,
    Nihil est innoxium

Or, in its even more blatant (approved) translation:

Where Thou art not, Man hath naught,
    Nothing good in deed or thought,
    Nothing free from taint of ill.

What subtlety am I missing here?

Clarity: I love this chant, but this started bothering me very recently...
    Thanked by 2CatherineS tandrews
  • tomjaw
    Well we know that God is good, we can also say the goodness comes from God because he is good. So if we have no God, can we have goodness? If we have an absence of God do we also have an absence of goodness?
    N.B. I am sure the Doctors of the Church have a better argument.

This is the only surviving Pentecost Sequence, so one presumes the Church agrees with this stanza. So the two questions I posed above have an answer, Without God we have no goodness.
  • Kathy
    In the Nicene Creed we say that the Holy Spirit is the Lord and Giver of life. St. Catherine of Siena used to say that God is and she is not. Without the Holy Spirit we don't have any existence. Even Adam and Eve in their state of innocence depended on the Holy Spirit for their goodness.

Thanked by 3tomjaw MarkB francis
  • Kathy
    At the beginning of this talk, the late great Fr. Pritzl breaks down some of St. Thomas Aquinas' reasons for our need for the Holy Spirit, having to do especially with the will. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYCik0tu40
  • Skladach
    Compare the verse from the Sequence with Our Lord's words in Jn 15:5. " I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Nihil,

You raise an interesting point, but I don't think the text means that there is no good in man, full stop.

What did you mean by TULIP Catholicism?
  • MarkB
    Without God there is nothing else and nothing good. Everything created comes from God, the first cause and first mover, and every created good derives from him, infinite perfection and summum bonum.
  • Kathy
    TULIP is a commonly used acronym for central beliefs of Calvinism.

Total depravity
    Unconditional election
    Limited atonement
    Irresistible grace
    Preservation of the saints

I think the question about the Sequence concerns "total depravity." How devastating was the Fall to our human nature? Are we capable of doing any good, without sacramental grace?
  • Drake
    This is just my thought, coming from various things I've read or heard and put together.

There are natural virtues of which men are capable even without sanctifying grace, and the come from the natural law, written on the heart of every man. These virtues (or at least many of them) were recognized by the ancient pagans and formed a basis for society after the loss of the preternatural state. Such natural virtues might include valor, kindness, sharing, discretion--you know, the kinds of things public television teaches children so they will "get along." (That's probably being unfair to the ancients, who actually understood something of philosophy.)

Were man entirely depraved, societies would not have been possible after the Fall, yet societies did flourish to a certain extent. But even in the realm of natural virtues, the pagans erred (some considerably more and some considerably less; but the all erred to some extent).

Concerning the inherent value (goodness) of man, being the creation of God, he is still good in that he is fearfully and wonderfully made, made in God's image. Let's take this to an extreme and say what of men in hell? Since it is better to exist than not to exist, it is actually better to be hell than never to have been. If something is better than something else, there is a goodness inherent in the thing that is better. The souls in hell even give testimony to God's justice, albeit unwillingly, which is ironically a good thing. So the inherent value of man (even in his worst possible state) is positive or good. I am NOT saying that the souls in hell are somehow justified, capable of love, etc.--just that God does not deprive them of existence or the essence of being; and that is a good in and of itself. Certainly, there is no good deed or thought in hell.

Supernatural virtue, however, is not possible except by the Holy Spirit (i.e. being in the state of sanctifying grace). Indeed, Our Lord says rightly that we can do nothing without him. Our natural good deeds do not have eternal merit but only those done in the state of grace. Thus, there is no lasting good that we can accomplish without the Holy Spirit.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Elmar
  • Kathy
    I thought I would look this up in the Summa T just to be clear on how St. Thomas sees the problem of fallen human nature.

The intellect remains in pretty good shape, but has limits regarding divine things without special grace.
    The human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses. Higher intelligible things of the human intellect cannot know, unless it be perfected by a stronger light, viz. the light of faith or prophecy which is called the "light of grace," inasmuch as it is added to nature. Hence we must say that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs Divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act. But he does not need a new light added to his natural light, in order to know the truth in all things, but only in some that surpass his natural knowledge.

The will, however, is seriously weakened. It can accomplish basic human functions like building houses and planting vineyards, but without grace it can't do good.
    in the state of corrupt nature, man falls short of what he could do by his nature, so that he is unable to fulfil it by his own natural powers. Yet because human nature is not altogether corrupted by sin, so as to be shorn of every natural good, even in the state of corrupted nature it can, by virtue of its natural endowments, work some particular good, as to build dwellings, plant vineyards, and the like; yet it cannot do all the good natural to it, so as to fall short in nothing; just as a sick man can of himself make some movements, yet he cannot be perfectly moved with the movements of one in health, unless by the help of medicine he be cured.

According to Aquinas, the will after the Fall needs both healing and elevation, whereas the intellect needs elevation simply.
  • PaxTecum
    Allow me to post some different translations from Wikipedia that may shed a different light on this verse:

Sine tuo numine,
    nihil est in homine,
    nihil est innoxium.

LITERAL ENGLISH:
    Without the nod of your head,
    there is nothing in man,
    nothing that is harmless.

ICEL ENGLISH: (this is probably the old one)
    If Thou take Thy grace away,
    Nothing pure in man will stay;
    All his good is turned to ill.

J.M. Neale
    Where Thou art not, man hath nought;
    Every holy deed and thought
    Comes from Thy divinity.

MY TRANSLATION
    Without thy power (inspiration, will)
    nothing is in man,
    nothing is harmless (innocent).

The point is that without His "nod" as the Wikipedia article puts it; or better his "power, will, inspiration or presence" then we are nothing & without such, nothing is harmless or innocent. For where "two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in their midst." Though the Neale translation is not accurate per-say, it is a good representation of the idea behind this verse, I think.
  • Decades ago, on one of my travels (I was regretfully returning to Houston after having spent some days at the restored colonial city of Williamsburg, Virginia) I visited some ruins of the Mississippi mound builders along the banks of the Mississippi River, the remains of a now vanished culture of at least a thousand years ago. The highest 'mound' was around sixty feet high, neither the pyramids nor Teotihuacan, nor Angkor Wat, but impressive enough. I climbed with some effort to the top and looked out over the plaza below, viewing smaller mounds and imagining the priests. shamans. or 'medicine men' who likely stood where I was standing. These people suddenly became real and present to me, and I began to weep in deep sorrow for them because they had not known of Jesus and had not had the opportunity to share the Christian Faith and its Lord, and therefore did not have 'the means of grace and the hope of glory' (to quote the BCP) which are necessary for salvation. I viewed mothers carrying their and their husband's infants, children and youth scampering about, men being quite human with one another, business being transacted and friendships being nurtured and enjoyed - all dressed in their colourful native attire. They were real people. I was so disturbed about this that upon returning to Houston I reported it all to my very good friend, Fr Moore (who was to become the first pastor of Walsingham). He explained to me, with confidence and assurance that all will meet Jesus when they die and it is he who will bid them well or ill. There are countless billions of people and cultures, both present and historic, who had not known of our Lord, nor have not, nor will not, who live the lives of loving fathers, loving mothers, who practice the virtues and loves that are hallmarks of the holy life. They do this because these qualities represent the best of humanity. While most by far of Catholics and others who share the Christian Faith display these qualities, we do not have a monopoly on Christian virtues and faith in the life to come. Of course, it is God who has endowed all of mankind with such good qualities, and where they are absent it is due to a simple ignorance or willful rejection. God's mind is inscrutable and he will apply his mercy and righteous judgment as he will - and woe be to any who presume to judge the eternal fate of anyone.
  • toddevoss
    In the liturgy, there is a poetic way of expressing theology that is not syllogistic. So different aspects can be greatly emphasized for effect. So that chant is about realizing what great sinners we are and bringing about a disposition of repentance. It is not taking the idea to its "logical" (and extreme and heretical) conclusion.
  • Schönbergian
    The above post should be well-heeded by those who would deem a particular work "un-Catholic" or "inappropriate" based on a single line taken out of context!
  • Kathy
    When I was preparing my first hymn collection for publication, I asked a dozen friends who were well-trained in theology to examine it for theological errors.

I would do the same again.

When something is sung at the liturgy, we ask people to take it in at a deep level. We could just speak the words of the liturgy, but instead we chant them, in order to express them more deeply and absorb them more thoroughly. I feel that it would be very wrong of me as a hymn writer to ask anyone to listen or sing a text that is either wrong or even just potentially misleading. There's a relationship of trust that I take very seriously.
  • Schoenbergian,

You're quite right, of course, but may I add to the list of things which persons should watch with care?

Since even the Devil himself can quote Scripture, the fact of Scriptural quotations doesn't render something fit for liturgical use, just by that fact alone.

"What I like" or, worse, "What I grew up with" isn't actually a liturgical qualifier, however much there are those who believe otherwise.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Schönbergian
    Yes Chris, I completely agree.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores