Laus in Ecclesia materials
  • kevinfkevinf
    Anyone have thoughts about the "Laus in Ecclesia' materials? I have most of the Solesmes books already so are these materials worth my energy,time and money?
  • MarkB
    If you already know the Solesmes method and know how to read neumes, then you won't learn much from Laus in Ecclesia.

However, I consider Volume 1 to be the best introduction and explanation about how to learn and sing Gregorian chant that I have seen. Absolute best starting textbook, and really the only instructional book that most people would need to buy and read in order to learn about chant, its history and its use in the Church.

Volume 2 in English should be published before the end of the year, I have been told.

Laus in Ecclesia is the only book I recommend to newbies who are interested in learning about Gregorian chant.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    And I was told it would be before the end of last year, and the year before that.
  • IanL
    I concur that Laus in Ecclesia is the best book on the Solesmes method. I say this from trying to figure out the Solesmes method from the other materials available on the CMAA website, but was left none the wiser. It was this book that really explained things for me.
    Thanked by 1kevinf