Favorite hymn reharm collections!?
  • Bombarde16
    Hive-mind, Go!
  • "Free Organ Accompaniments to One Hundred Well-Known Hymn Tunes" by T. Tertius Noble is solid, in my opinion. I also sometimes use them for simple postludes on the recessional.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • ServiamScores
    The obvious (and my primary go-to) are the collections by Noel Rawsthorne (now you can get a mega book with 400. His are great because they are very playable, (if tame by comparison to some, but safe in nearly every context) and ultimately rather approachable. They add flair without going off the deep end.
    Thanked by 2MarkS cesarfranck
  • Bombarde16
    I love the T.T. Noble collections. They really are splendid. Oddly enough, I haven't gotten the Noel Rawsthorne yet! But I do have a book by Gerre Hancock that I adore!
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • GerardH
    I make occasional use of Colin Mawby's "Hymns for Occasions". Some arrangements are more to my taste than others. Haven't tried many other collections.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CGM
    I wrote a delightfully adventurous descant & reharm for the final verse of "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name," which I'd be happy to send to anyone interested. PM me with your name & email address.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck PaxTecum
  • I have user all of the collections mentioned above frequently. I also use Hal Hopson's Organ in Worship compilation. The reharmonizations almost always retain melody, so they are very friendly to singers (and busy organists.) I think using a variety of the various collections is best as most of composers have rather similar reharmonization formulations. All that said, Noble's collections are the best!
  • ghmus7
    I humbly add my collection - during COVID I created an alternate harmonization to every hymn in the St. Michael Hymnal - some 250.
    The entire set is here:

https://www.arrangeme.com/title/379845

However, you can purchase individual harmonizations at a very low price - just search under Gregory Hamilton and the hymn tune. Sometimes there are more than one harmonization.
  • ServiamScores
    Gregory, your link takes me to a login page, and I cannot find the collection via normal search, but I’m interested.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Dr. Hamilton, I'd be interested in the whole collection, but I don't think that link is how I purchase them. Could you help?
  • ghmus7
    Oh, and if you want to see more of what the harmonizations are like in the complete book, just look them up individually by tune name.
  • There's a reharmonization/key change of HYFRYDOL in Festive Hymn Tune Reharmonizations by Jason D. Payne that I've become quite fond of. I can recommend his work for easy to moderate difficulty works that sound quite appealing to the average layman.
  • There is always the Steven Nisbet Collection