Fall 2023 "The Exceptional Cantor": online courses for serious cantors and music directors
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Go deeper in your faith and ministry through an exploration of Church documents and repertoire, guided class discussion with other like-minded musicians, and practical considerations for leading the congregation in song. Plus, receive access to an extensive Cantor Resources page for further study and reference. Hosted by the International Chant Academy, for serious cantors and music directors in the modern Roman Catholic rite.

All sessions are held live via Zoom on Thursdays, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm Central Time. To ensure each student receives the personal attention deserved, each level is limited to 5 seats.

LEVEL I: A liturgical foundation (starts September 7)
    ~ Speak knowledgeably about what the Church asks regarding sacred music
    ~ Imbue your singing with a sense of the sacred
    ~ Know exactly what to sing, and when
    ~ Anticipate and support the musical needs of your parish
    ~ Turn complaints into educational opportunities​

LEVEL II: Liturgical musicianship (starts October 26)
    ~ Develop awareness for room acoustics, proper use of the microphone, and appropriate sound balance
    ~ Develop rapport with your organist, and identify critical factors for successful congregational singing
    ~ Plan and source all the music for a Roman Catholic Mass

~ Incorporate proper antiphons and chant into the Liturgy
    ~ Navigate special liturgies such as weddings and funerals with greater ease
    ~ Know how to prepare and what to expect (or not expect) as a visiting musician in another parish

"I appreciated the ease of communication between everyone in class. I tend to be very inquisitive and love to ask questions and the way the class was managed made this very easy. There is often a TON of information to get through, but Angela was very adept at letting us know when there was a lot of material to cover, yet also making time for questions when/if they should arise. The most valuable takeaway from the course wast the vast breadth of resources that are out there with regard to sacred music. Not only the numerous Church documents that provide guidance, but all the additional resources we were introduced to throughout the course."

~ Jonathan, cantor and Level I student

Visit www.chantacademy.com for more information.
    Questions? send an email to info@chantacademy.com
    3375 x 3375 - 5M
    Thanked by 1DCM