Sanctuary or tabernacle?
  • Joseph_M
    New to the forums and new as a DM. My current parish has a tradition of singing "Sanctuary" by Thompson and Scruggs. Historically, no music started until all EMHC had received communion, and then the choir/congregation would sing the refrain of this song 3 times. This would be followed by a hymn, and then while the priest purified the vessels they would sing the communion antiphon with Glory Be. I changed this up to have the antiphon sung as the priest consumed the Eucharist, then they would sing Sanctuary while the choir received communion, followed by a hymn. During advent we got rid of the song Sanctuary, and they were okay with scaling things back during that season.

I have had conversations with the Pastor about the word sanctuary not typically being used by Church fathers (if at all) to describe Mary. They almost always refer to her as Tabernacle or Temple, and when Sanctuary is used it's in a different context. This seems to be a poor use of vocabulary to describe the people being walking tabernacles upon reception of the Eucharist. He thinks it is communicating the same thing, and also provided an anecdote appealing to sentiment. I discussed with him the music itself is not beautiful or worthy of the Liturgy with the chord structure, and it was chalked up to my personal preference.

Any thoughts or analysis would be helpful.

Here are the lyrics:
    Lord, pre-pare me to be a sanctuary

Pure and holy, tried and true;

With thanksgiving I'll be a living

Sanctuary for____ You.
  • Liam
    Your critique was/is apt, as well as your shift to begin music as the celebrant communes.

A sanctuary is a place set apart; a tabernacle is a dwelling place. Both share being places, but they are not congruent ideas about place.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar CHGiffen
  • MarkB
    I'm familiar with that piece and its use just before Communion. Parishes in my diocese appear to have left that one behind; I don't hear it nor hear about it anymore where I am.

Could it be considered an unnecessary and ill-advised duplication since the assembly prays the following before Communion, which expresses the same thing?

"Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed."

Are two "Communion preparation prayers" called for? Singing "Sanctuary" multiple times after Communion has begun seems to displace the official prayer of the Mass ("Domine, non sum dignus...").
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I've been at a parish that did something like this before. I would honestly work on a lot of other things before I would alter this parish tradition. I think starting with taking it out seasonally is a good place to start weaning off of it.

If the pastor and the people like this tradition, I wouldn't spend your capital and goodwill on this. I'd press in other areas before returning to this one again. Make lots of other improvements, gain respect and "fans" among the congregation, and then worry about "Sanctuary."

(I hope it goes without saying that I pretty much agree with you)