The Hunt for a New Organ
  • TCJ
    More on our search:

Allen is out of the running, Johannus never was in the running, and Viscount is likely going to be eliminated next. That means the main two we're looking at are Rodgers and Phoenix. I've played on some, but both in less-than-ideal rooms - the first in a showroom and the other in a small, carpeted church with poor acoustics. Looks like I'll be traveling to hear some better installations next before I can make a really good judgment on sound.

The Phoenix console I saw was solid. Way better construction than the Johannus. It was missing a case for the swell pedals, however.
    Thanked by 2DavidOLGC irishtenor
  • GambaGamba
    My Phoenix has a typical swell-pedal enclosure (wood box on the back end; a bit of trim metal around the front).
  • Johannus construction is indeed very poor. The dealer who installed our organ, was simultaneously called in to take over the installation of a custom monarke organ (that cost even more than our organ) only 20 miles away (an installation that I’ve since visited). He was quite shocked at how poor the construction was on the johannus — especially considering it was a monarke custom order — and impressed at how nice our new Rodgers model was built. The cabinetry in the newer Rodgers is quite handsome and most of it is made of solid wood, and the cabinetry is indeed very fine. The two don’t really compare. Most of the johannus is veneered particle board, and the stop jambs are so hilariously cramped you can barely fit your fingers in between the knobs to pull them out (I am not being hyperbolic). For an organ that cost a not unsubstantial amount more than ours, and had double the number of channels, it sounded very poor indeed. The incumbent there was hired on after the purchase was made and he was very disappointed, and lamented to me what a pity it was. He had the equivalent of my new organ at his previous post, and he told me point blank that we had definitely made the right call. I felt so sorry for him.
  • TCJ
    The incumbent there was hired on after the purchase was made and he was very disappointed, and lamented to me what a pity it was.

Sounds like you are describing me!
  • ghmus7
    Have you actually had some organ companies over to look at your church, or is the impossibility of a pipe organ somethimg generally assumed? I have never seen a situation where a pipe organ in impossible..Many creative soloutions can be found...installing long pipes sideways, unifying divisions to reduce space etc etc. I have seen where people say "there is no room" and the organ company (Ross King in this instance) was able to create a beautiful instrument in the space. People don't know what an organbuilder can do.
    Also, there may be a not too expensive way to alter your church space to accommodate pipework.
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • TCJ
    Yes, we have. I don't assume.
  • Also, there may be a not too expensive way to alter your church space to accommodate pipework.
    while we would still like to add pipes at our church, we are looking at having to spend close to 10k to have hvac repositioned, and another substantial sum to have the loft reinforced with special support footings going down to the foundations (and all to only gain a 13’ cubed space). Our particular church was literally built with an analogue organ in mind (very small & shallow chambers at the front above the side altar niches, and a loft not built to hold any substantial weight), so realistically, since we can’t afford any loft space, the preferable option (if you can call it that) would be to pull a meinrad and put something behind the altar, or block a side altar entirely, which presents its own tremendous hurdles. We really are very stymied in what we can do without resorting to spending a large sum just to fix the building.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • ghmus7
    Wow, that really is a situation for prayer!
  • ghmus7
    Something suspended??
  • CharlesW
    I have seen churches where it would be necessary to rebuild the building from scratch to get a pipe organ in it. There is a multi-million dollar church in my area where the loft can in no way support a pipe instrument. It was bad planning but too late to change it now. You may be in the situation of determining how much money is available to you and purchasing the best digital organ you can get for that amount of money. Not a perfect world but reality does set in. Talk to other organists and don't listen to the sales people. They all lie.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • kevinfkevinf
    A small pipe organ for the new place where I work. It was built originally in 1905 but will be restored and new stops added. Price: 70,000$

Disposition of the new organ for St. Anna's
    Mechanical action.
    Great (61 notes)
    Open Diapason 8' (new)
    Flûte Traversière 8' (new)
    Octave 4'
    Gemshorn 2’
    Mixture III (1 1/3’)

Swell (61 notes) Swell under expression
    Stopped Diapason 8’
    Aeoline 8'
    Celeste 8’ (c0)
    Flûte Harmonique 4’
    Hautbois 8’ (new)
    Tremolo (new)

Pedal (30 notes)
    Bourdon 16’
    Flûte 8’ (transmission)
    Sw-Pd
    Gt-Pd
    Sw-Gt

We looked at electronic but there were many options with old pipe organs. Found this one in New England and will arrive Easter 2024.